When you connect an additional monitor to your Dell computer, Windows will automatically detect the monitors and displays your computer's desktop.
You can then choose how you want your desktop to appear and customize the display settings such as Display Style, Screen Resolution and Color Depth.
Key Feature Enhancements in Windows 10
- Easily move Windows apps to another monitor
- You can easily move Windows apps to another monitor by grabbing it along the top edge and dragging it from one monitor to another. If the app is snapped, it will be snapped on the other monitor as well.
- You can also move Windows apps from one monitor to another using the keyboard shortcuts Win+Pg Up and Win+Pg Dn
- Taskbars are now shown on all monitors by default
- With multiple monitors attached, Windows 10 will draw the taskbar across each monitor. By default, all taskbar icons are displayed on the main monitor, and the taskbar on all other monitors.
- The Taskbar is configurable in multiple displays using Taskbar Properties.
- Right-click on the Taskbar
- Select Properties
- In Taskbar tab, under Multiple Displays, make sure the Show Taskbar on all Displays check box is selected
- Click OK.
- Span desktop background across all monitors
- You can now span a single panoramic picture across multiple monitors. We are also including a new panoramic theme in the personalization options for Windows 10.
- To set this up, pick a panoramic desktop image and select Span as the picture position.
Connecting your Monitor to the Computer
You can connect most monitors and other display devices like projectors using the VGA, DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort cables.
For more information, refer to the knowledge base article How do I connect a monitor to a computer?.
Setting up Multiple Monitors
After you connect the monitors to your Dell computer, you can select the Display Style that best suits your needs. You can choose from one of the following four options on how the desktop is displayed:
- PC Screen Only: The second monitor is ignored and only the primary monitor is used.
- Duplicate: The second monitor mirrors the primary monitor.
- Extend: The desktop of your PC is extended across the two monitors and allows you to have a desktop that spans across both monitors.
- Second Screen Only: The primary monitor will be disabled and only the secondary monitor will be used.
When you connect a second monitor to your Dell Desktop computer, the default display style will be set to Extend.
How do I change the display style?
Method 1: Windows Key + P Keyboard Shortcut
- Close all open programs.
- Hold down the Windows key and press the P key on your keyboard.
- Select one of the following display style options (Figure 1):
- PC Screen Only
- Second Screen Only
Method 2: Display Settings Menu
- Close all open programs.
- Right-click an empty area on your desktop, and click Display Settings (Figure 2).
Figure 2: Display Settings
- Click the Multiple Displays drop-down list, and select Duplicate these displays or Extend these displays or Show only on 1 or Show only on 2 (Figure 3).
If you cannot see the second monitor(s) listed, click Detect. If this does not work, try to reconnect the cables on your monitor, restart the computer and repeat steps 1 and 2.
Figure 3: Multiple Displays
- Click Identify to see which monitor is number 1 (Primary Monitor) and number 2 (Secondary Monitor).
- Click Keep Changes if you are prompted to save the changes made to the display settings (Figure 4).
Figure 4: Keep Changes